I'm the culprit behind several schemes to buy folks iPads. You know, I'm the one sending out secret emails to family and friends - the more the merrier - folks want in - even cheap folks. I've seen folks straight break down like they've lost a loved one, heading right for 'the ugly cry.' Some don't know what to say. They just stare into space and look like they've won the lottery. It's only a couple hundred dollars and I've had about 10 of your closet relatives, coworkers, friends, neighbors and your church family go in. The folks who cry are the best 'I can't take it. uh, uh (sniffling) it's too much.' Riight? They're going to give it back. REALLY.
The best I've even seen is when folks straight scream. Not the 'Oh, no you didn't!' scream ... uh, uh, the bloodcurdling-Texas-Chainsaw-Massacre- Freddie-Kruger-Saw-in-3D someone is stabbing me dead. The scream that's so scary it leaves everyone within ear shot uncomfortable and nervous. Now, I must admit, I too have drank the kool-aid.
'Hmm, maybe it is too much?' I say.
So what do I do? What any self-respecting, uncomfortable person does, I back-paddle.
'Pullease, Oh, no, we got it on sale.'
'They had a coupon.'
'I bought it hot (I know it's Lent, but let's keep it real)'
Why do I do this? I don't know perhaps I'm crazy, too. I'm pretty generous - I'm not flossing that's just how I am. Gift giving is yet another opportunity for me to make it incredible. But if you think I'm exaggerating, Buy someone an iPad. It's the best gift money can buy! Now, back to the question at hand - the best gift I've ever given - well, that now sounds suspect and could get me in a world of trouble. 'How in the world is she going to be handling out iPads when all I got was a Carrabas gift card.' Yeah!
Let's modify this question a little, what's the best money ya ever spent? Now, I stimulate the economy as much as any 'good American Citizen' but here's a list of the best money I even spent:
- If ya ever in San Diego ... Check out Extraordinary Desserts. Lemon meringue bread pudding made with croissants was FA-NOM-MA-NUL. That's phenomenal if you're into phonetics. I've been there about 6 times and I've spent a mint every time I go there. It is worth it. That's the apple bread pudding picture there - my roomie, LG (Day 23) went there this summer. This place is the best!
- Bootcamp (Day 5) enough said.
- Nike Boots - Not only are they comfortable, the make me feel strong and want to pounce. With them on, I really believe I can do anything. No, no for real. They're great in the snow, they are warm and they are oh so comfortable. It helps that they add a few inches or two as well. Look how cute they are and no one has these with the red bottoms. Still a city girl at heart - I still must have fresh sneaks.
- I helped plan an awesome wedding for one of my friends. I can't even remember what I gave her - maybe I did the invitations or something. But when I sent a car service to take her and the hubby to the airport for her honeymoon. That took her over the top. $120 roundtrip for the ride. How excited and thankful she was - priceless.
- I was heading out on a girlz trip and bumped 2 chicks up to first class. They were so nervous when the flight attendant called their names and told them to gather their things - like they were terrorists. She then bought them up front - It was great.
- Barbara Streisand. I bought me and my Mom tickets a few years back. It was a gazillion dollars and one of the most stressful nights of my life (I lost my Mom in the parking garage and she's in a wheelchair) but she had a wonderful time.
- My kitchen. You have no idea how many times I've planned to remodel the kitchen. I mean I would spend hours in the store, picking out cabinets, looking at magazines and then I would 'go bananas' when they gave me the price. Well, last year, after Whitney passed (I still can't believe she's not here), I finally decided to actually 'remodel' the kitchen. It came out wonderfully. I've had friends over to fellowship and share a good meal. I find myself cooking more, having coffee in the morning and I'm really enjoying the space. Here's a before and after pic.
So on Day 12 of 40 days of gratefulness, I'm grateful for an abundance which I can use to bless others ... and myself ;-). #beblessed #40daysofgratfulness