Saturday, February 23, 2013

40 Days of Gratefulness - Day 10

What's the best gift you ever received? From time to time, I do this ... try to figure out what's the top 10 gifts I've ever received. Now before I begin - my friends are incredible, most don't have children which means 'Ca-Ching' -- disposable income to spend on their friends. And I've received some doozies,  my Roomdog (Day 2) gave me 30 gifts for my 30th. Wondering what she did for my 40th - Ya got it 40 gifts - she rocks for sure.

But I've been blessed beyond measure with the gifts I've received. So here are my top 10 gifts I've received:
  1. A pink robe for Karamel (She's chilling on the right). One year I just had to have this little bear from build-a-bear and because I live in the 3rd grade, I dressed the bear and used to keep it strapped in in the backseat -- she was my riding buddy. I even put a Tiffany-inspired heart bracelet around her neck one year - LOL. But when I was in the hospital a gazillion years ago for surgery, I just had to bring her with me so I wouldn't be alone - I know, 3rd grade (Day 9). So there I was prepped for surgery and my Roomdog (Day 2) bought this little pink robe for her. Karamel stayed w/me in the hospital every day and so did my Roomdog. Ooh, I could kiss her face, right now for that. ;-)
  2. Campbell soup magnet - My little sister game me this for Christmas for my first apartment. It's simply a refrigerator magnet with an antique Campbell soup label (we grew up on Campbells) but the sentiment touched me. I still have it on my refrigerator today.
  3. Rainbow Bible - My mother gave me this bible when I graduated from high school. I can't tell you how many states I've dragged this thing through. I'm ashamed to admit that it's in mint condition because I never wanted to mess it up. Keep praying for a Sista ;-)
  4. My Prayer - My current roomie, LG (Day 23) wrote me a thank you note last September. In it she included a prayer, what she doesn't know (guess, she will now) is that whenever I have a particular bad day. I take it out  and read it aloud. She will never know how it touched my heart that she took the time to consider me in her prayers and put it to paper. Whew.
  5. iphone - Yup, I bought a 'used' iphone from a guy. Needless to say, it didn't work. My ego was a little bruised - really! I should be more on top of my game. Where was my swag? My good girlfriend, Kisha took me to the store and bought me an iphone. Yup, she made it incredible. Thanks, Kisha!
  6. Bijan Perfume - Does anyone remember this perfume? I can't even remember what it smelled like but I was at the mall w/a girlfriend telling her how I loved the lotion. And lo and behold, I ran into my boyfriend, Broderick at the time (I think we were official that week - you, know how it is when you're young - he's going to get a kick out of this). He was out w/his boy, James and blew my mind because he whipped out that wallet, bought me that perfume and kissed me on the lips. I felt like a million dollars. I know, how sappy is that but that's just how I felt.
  7. Leather Briefcase - When I graduated from college, my BFA, Deneen (Day 7) and her mom bought me a leather briefcase. It was bad - butter soft leather with chrome hardware. It was actually stolen when I went on an interview but it affirmed me. They thought I was a business women already - THANKS!
  8. Cookie bouquet - Do they still make these? They were like cookie lollipops wrapped in pretty paper. My mom sent these to me in graduate school with a lovely note. I think it was right after I failed that comprehensive exam. She always signed he letters with 'Love, Mommie' then she drew a heart with a cross in the middle of it. I like to think that it stood for the love of Jesus. Don't ask.
  9. Coach Bag - Ok, my aunt, Cookie (yup, that's her name) bought me a coach bag one year for Christmas when I was in high school. I was through the roof. My family wasn't the type to exchange large gifts or say 'I love you.' But her buying me that purse was her way of saying it.
  10. Teddy - My mother gave me this for Easter when we were kids. Teddy is a pillow case shaped like a bear and this is probably one of the first years or so that I don't sleep with him - he's too hot. He's had it but I love it. My Mom always gave us a little something for Easter and still does.
So on day 10 of 40 days of gratefulness, I'm grateful not just for every gift I've received, but for the sentiment behind them. #beblessed #40daysofgratefulness
 

No comments:

Post a Comment