Tuesday, May 14, 2013

40 Days of Gratefulness - Day 47

And they say dreams don't come true. I beg to differ. For as long as I can remember, I've loved music and singing. And I'm no ordinary lil' black girl from Baltimore, my mother indulged me as I've had both piano and guitar lessons. Hmm, guess that make me a well-rounded lil' black girl from Baltimore ;-)  I also grew up in the Episcopal church which means I appreciated classical, orchestral pieces as well as the usual R&B and soft-rock. Hey!! No judgement, Hall & Oates was my very first concert.

Sorry, I digress. Now, I didn't stick with any of those instruments and I have exactly zero musical talents but I secretly harbored a pipe dream to sing. Let's be clear, I can not sing, I'm pretty much tone deaf and 'couldn't carry a tune with a bucket' as my Roomdog (Day 2) likes to joke me. SMH Let's just say, that I was in no danger of pursuing a musical career but that didn't change anything for me; I still dreamed of singing.

I grew up with the likes of Whitney and I still love me some Anita Baker. Regina Belle, whom I've actually met, was my favorite but if I could pick just one person who I'd like to sound like; hands down that would be Phylis Hyman. I mean it was something about her that simply gave me goosebumps. With my zero musical talents, I clearly recognized that I would never be out front leading a song but I didn't need to -- because I really wanted to be a background singer.

Chalk that up to the 3rd grader (Day 9) in me. For whatever reason, I didn't need to be out in front. See to me, background singers are the ones who fill the song. For example, everyone knows Aretha Franklin's Ain't No Way. Yup, a classic but what makes that song memorable is the soprano in the background. The soprano is the one who makes you feel 'longing' in that song. That actually was Cissy Houston, Whitney's momma. Anyway, I do my share of singing in the shower and in the car but generally I'm simply listening and enjoying the music. I was happy, content even with just enjoying the music until an opportunity presented itself.

The Psalmist, me!
At church (Day 35), there was going to be a Women's Day Choir to celebrate Mother's Day and guess what? There were going to let anyone sing, which made me laugh. I joked about joining but I thought 'Nah, it'll never happen, you can't sing.' Duh, I must have forgot what we learned back on Day 6 about missing out on blessings and killing dreams. I even sent an email explaining that I was unable to attend the first practice, asking if I could still participate but I didn't receive a response. 'No big deal, it wasn't in your cards,' I told myself. Riiight! But my roomie (Day 23) forwarded me an email she had received and it said they were really going to let anybody sing in the choir, even me.

WHAT!! Let me tell you, after the first practice I was hooked. The choir director, Janel was astounding. It it exhilarating and inspiring when you see folks walking in their purpose. And I don't know this chick personally, but she was born to choir direct or is that direct choir? You get the gist. She had fabulous energy; explaining that we weren't just singing in the choir, we were using our voices to praise and possibly bless someone through music. Whew. After that one practice, I started calling myself, the Psalmist. LOL I know but the 3rd grader in me never stops.

Well, just last Sunday, I performed in the Metropolitan Baptist Church Women's Day Choir and it was phenomenal. I can't tell you - it was one of the most rewarding experiences ever and I gave it 110%. There was no way I wasn't going to get it in! I mean I was literally 'living my dream' performing. Me, singing, praising the Lord with my voice, rocking from side to side, clapping and I think I even threw up 'holy hands.' Could it be that I'm finally starting to shake that Episcopal 'quiet-in-church-upbringing?' Maybe.


So on this Day 47 of 40 Days of Gratefulness, I'm grateful for dreams that come true. #beblessed #40daysofgratefulness

5 comments:

  1. That picture looks great!!!!!!! Ya'll are so cheesy! I'm glad that your dream came true!!!! Now we are going to try and get you to join the choir forrrrrreal. Who cares if you can sing? Just open your mouth for Jesuuuuuuuuus! I'm so salty that I missed it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I forgot to mention...........that white shirt!!!!!!!!!!!!! We need a family meeting! LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  3. And..............last thing, where is Bernadette on that front row??????

    ReplyDelete
  4. drWestmoreland - it was great, it's Wednesday and I'm still smiling. Can't wait to get the DVD - it'll be on the agenda for the family meeting ... LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You were awesome! You inspired us all and your glow lit up the church. Love you sis-in-law!

      Delete