Tuesday, February 19, 2013

40 Days of Gratefulness - Day 6

Ever listen to that little still voice? You know, the one some folks call 'instinct' or 'conscience?' I call it the Holy Spirit. How often do we ignore that voice and miss out on God's blessings? A good friend shared with me that he woke up one morning with the idea that he could play the guitar. Now, this gentlemen was not musically inclined. He simply had an idea. Of course, he thought it was ridiculous at first but he couldn't stop thinking about it ... and he just happens to be a Christian. So, he goes out and buys a guitar. Two months later he has taught himself how to play and he has a voice - he didn't know he could carry a tune. Now, he's no Earl Klugh (jazz guitarist) but he can play the guitar and writes/sings songs to his daughter from time to time. No, he didn't blow up and make music videos but I'm certain his playing/singing has poured into his little 3 year old baby girl. What little girl wouldn't love her Daddy serenading her?

What's my point, you might add? Is how often does that 'little voice' give us some idea that we bury it. Some dream, hidden talent or fantastic new opportunity is lost because we kill it. We kill it with practicality - "Girl, I'm too busy. Or "Everybody does it already?" We kill it with frugality "I can't afford to do that." How do you know what's in store for you? You have no idea where 'your gift' will take you. Now, you may want to consider from where this idea comes from first - let's not be irresponsible here. Buying a hot new purse you can't afford -- chances are that's your voice. But what about all the other ideas we have. I'll share my 'little voice' story with you.

I was attending a luncheon in my honor as I had accepted another position and it was my last day. My replacement had attended the luncheon as well - it was his first day. After the luncheon, he pulled me aside and asked if I ever considered going into business for myself? No, I was comfortable with my pseudo-junior level corporate position. He gave me his business card and told me to give him a call when I was ready. I laughed - I wasn't going to call this crazy joker and besides he didn't know me. But once he mentioned it - I absolutely couldn't stop thinking about it. A week or so later, I called him up to ask him why he would say that to me. He told me I had good energy which made me laugh. But, my mind was blown - so within 3 months, I had quit my new position and started my company, Solutions Enterprises, Inc w/the trade name, Better Solutions. Now, my company has not amassed millions but it has employed both me and my Roomdog (Day 2). It paid for our homes, our health care and our tithes. We don't have a building or office space - we don't even have a website. And we only have 1 person on contract right now, me. And with this new market, I'm not sure what to expect but I can't tell you the invaluable lessons I've learned along the way. So on Day 6 of 40 days of gratefulness, I'm grateful for my company, Better Solutions. By the way, Better Solutions will turn 10 years old in just a few weeks. #40daysofgratefulness #beblessed.

2 comments:

  1. Beloved Cel,

    Thanks for sharing your testmiony! I am excited for you that Better Solutions will be celebrating 10 years. You inspire me to continue moving forward with my dream of being a business owner. I'm on it! Blessings,
    Rev. A. B. Wise

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cel,

    Thanks for sharing your inspiring story!!! I am grateful that you are speaking to my "little still voice".

    ~Toni

    ReplyDelete