Friday, May 3, 2013

40 Days of Gratefulness - Day 45

Yesterday was quite the day. Sequestration had finally hit my team. My entire team was cut ... except for me. I'm feeling exceptionally blessed that I get to stay but I'm saddened by the fact that this team will never be the same. I've been here for 5 years and while I've seen a number of folks come and go -- this time it feels especially different, unfamiliar and fragile.

It could be a combination of things - perhaps it's that folks were given just a day's notice. It could be our SA team is moving to another building. It could be I've been 'feeling some kinda way' about life in general. Or it simply could be that we were here for a specific time for a specific purpose and that time has now come to an end.

Post from Our Last Team Outing
What have I learned you might ask? It's that at the end of the day, we're all just people. People with families, lives, hopes, dreams, regrets, shortcomings and flaws. And what I've learned from this team is that we did some good things together; both professionally and personally. We respected each other, egos were checked at the door and we really care about each other just a little more than co-workers do because we're friends. The kind of friends who encourage and pray for each other. The kind of friends who'll drop you off at the airport or the mechanic. The kind of friends who would use an entire day of leave to make the best pulled pork I've ever had. The kind of friends who would tour the Naval Academy one November afternoon and toast the night away responsibly ;-) at Ruth Chris. The kind of friends who would attend a co-worker's wake together. The kind of friends who would agree to pray corporately at the exact time, I was to speak on our team's behalf at our deceased co-worker's funeral. The kind of friends who never made it to the stadium but still had a fabulous time watching the Ravens Victory party on TV at a local dive. And the kind of team that would shed tears when they learned some would not return on Monday.

I'm not sure what Monday morning will look like. But whatever it will be,  I'll fill it with fond memories. Fond memories of us going to the gym, getting smoothies, laughing at how small the gym towels were, exchanging good recipes, talks of soccer matches, husbands that know just what to do, ailing parents, nuances of Peruvian chicken and just having a good time with each other at work.

I have no doubt that we will keep in touch but ... to my team, uh, my friends, we did some good things together! As they say, all good things must come to an end.

So on this Day 45 of 40 days of gratefulness, I'm grateful for good things! #beblessed #40daysofgratefulness

No comments:

Post a Comment